Medical Infrared Thermometers: How to Use + Buying Guide
Medical infrared thermometers are essential tools for checking body temperature, especially during times of health crises like the COVID-19 pandemic. These non-contact devices provide quick and accurate temperature readings, minimizing the risk of cross-contamination.
In this blog post, we will explore what medical infrared thermometers are, how to use them, and how to choose the best one for your needs.
What Is a Medical Infrared Thermometer?
A medical infrared thermometer, also known as a non-contact or forehead thermometer, is a device that measures body temperature by detecting the infrared energy emitted by the body. It uses an infrared sensor to capture the temperature and display it on an LCD screen.
Medical infrared thermometers are non-invasive, which means they do not require contact with the body to take a reading. This makes them ideal for use in hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare settings and for personal use at home.
How to Use a Medical Infrared Thermometer?
Using a medical infrared thermometer is relatively simple. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use one:
- Turn on the thermometer by pressing the power button. Some models may require you to hold the button for a few seconds.
- Allow the thermometer to warm up for a few seconds. Most devices will display a "ready" signal when they are prepared to take a measurement.
- Position the thermometer about 1-2 inches (3-5 cm) away from the forehead. Some models may have a built-in distance sensor to ensure accurate readings.
- Press the measurement button to start the temperature reading process. The thermometer will then emit an infrared light that detects the heat from the body.
- Within seconds, the temperature reading will appear on the LCD screen. Some devices may also have audio signals that indicate whether the temperature is within the normal range or if there is a fever.
- Clean the thermometer with a soft cloth or alcohol wipe after each use to ensure hygiene and accuracy.
How to Choose the Best Medical Infrared Thermometer?
When selecting a medical infrared thermometer, consider the following factors:
- Accuracy: Look for a thermometer with an accuracy of ±0.2°C (±0.4°F) or better. This ensures that the readings are reliable and precise.
- Measurement Time: Choose a device that provides a quick reading, ideally within 1-3 seconds. This is especially important in a healthcare setting where multiple temperature readings need to be taken quickly.
- Distance Range: Opt for a thermometer suitable for non-contact measurements, typically between 1 to 2 inches (3 to 5 cm).
- Memory Function: Some thermometers offer a memory function that stores previous readings, allowing you to track temperature changes over time.
- Display: Look for a thermometer with a clear and easy-to-read display showing Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature readings.
- Fever Alarm: A useful feature in some thermometers is a fever alarm that alerts you when the temperature reading indicates a fever.
- Power Source: Consider whether you prefer a thermometer with replaceable or rechargeable batteries.
- Price: Medical infrared thermometers come in varying price ranges. Determine your budget and choose a thermometer with the best features within your price range.
Medical infrared thermometers are essential tools for maintaining health and safety. They provide quick, accurate, and non-invasive temperature readings, making them ideal for both professional healthcare settings and personal use at home.
By considering factors such as accuracy, measurement time, distance range, and additional features, you can choose the best medical infrared thermometer for your needs!
If you need a non-contact infrared thermometer, place your order at ProNorth Medical today! We offer the best healthcare accessories, products, and equipment at our medical supply store online. Check out the selections, and place your order now!Continue reading